Kwōxweth is the Halq’eméylem word for ‘coho salmon’.
- Kwōxweth sounds like KWOE-shwuth, except that instead of a sh the second part of the word starts with the Halq’eméylem soft-xw.
- To make the soft-x, you touch your tongue to the roof of your mouth and create soft friction. In this word, the x is ’rounded’ (xw), meaning your lips stick out slightly as you say the x.
- See here for more information about making the soft-x.
Audio: Elizabeth Herrling, Elizabeth Phillips
As with many words in the language, the Elders do not have a special plural form for kwōxweth.
If you want to talk about cohos (plural), you can say ye kwōxweth – the cohos (ye means the or a, and you use it only with plurals).
Here are some words related to kwōxweth:
- Kwōxwethtel – coho net (the -tel ending marks tools and devices)
- Temkwōxweth – coho time- August – September