Yewál kw’as la kw’íyeqel lam te smámelet means ‘First you climb to the mountains‘.
Audio: Elizabeth Herrling
Vocabulary and Structure
This phrase has the following structure:
- Yewál – first
- Kw’as – (that) you, (it is that) you
- Kw’íy – to climb, to rise up
- Kw’íyeqel – to mountain climb, rock climb
- La – ‘auxiliary’ verb, often untranslatable, associated with the meaning ‘go‘ (probably a reduced form of lam, see next point)
- Lam – often means go, but here translates as to, as in to the mountains.
- Te – the
- Smámelet – mountain(s) (also means ‘small rock, little rock‘)
Note: kw’as literally means ‘that you’, but in this case it translates just as ‘you‘.