Is t’wa eystexwes kw’es las lex̲éywa means ‘I guess he liked to go torchlighting.’.
You could also translate it as ‘He must have liked to go torchlighting’.
Audio: Elizabeth Herrling
Structure and Vocabulary
The structure of this phrase is as follows:
- i – an untranslatable auxiliary (‘helper’) verb, related to the meaning ‘here’
- -s – here, marks the presence of a third person (neigher you nor me) subject, in this case the understood ‘it’
- t’wa – maybe, would be, could be. see is t’wa
- éystexw – to like, to enjoy
- -es – here, marks that a ‘third person’ (the understood subject ‘he’) is the subject.
- kw’es – that, to
- la – an auxiliary (‘helper’) verb, a reduced form of lám –to go
- -s – here, again a form of third person subject agreemtnt
- lex̲éywa – to torchlight